Core Equity is a portfolio of publicly traded North American equity securities whose primary objective is compounding capital at attractive rates of return over the long-term. We employ a bottom-up, fundamental approach that targets high-quality businesses trading at a discount to intrinsic value.
Why Invest in Public Equities?
Public equities are subject to higher volatility, but have some important merits:
- Attractive long-term inflation-adjusted returns
- Ample liquidity
- Strong corporate governance, accounting and financial reporting standards
- Favourable tax treatment (primarily capital gains)
What Differentiates Us?
- 25-30 positions – prudent diversification without sacrificing returns
- Fosters greater discipline in research effort and higher conviction levels
- Our primary focus is mid-cap companies in the Consumer, Industrial, Financial, Healthcare & Technology sectors
- Retained some flexibility across market capitalizations
Absolute Return Focus
- Our North Star is building and preserving clients’ wealth, regardless of what is happening in “the market”
- We are comfortable trading short-term relative performance for long-term absolute returns
- “Time arbitrage” may be the greatest source of advantage for managers today
- The longer your time frame, the fewer people you are competing against
Engagement & Intellectual Independence
- Where possible, we work with portfolio companies to help drive better governance, improved capital allocation and a relentless focus on shareholder value creation
- General aversion to consensus ideas; the best returns typically result from a differentiated (but well-substantiated) perspective
We offer a diverse mix of investment strategies across multiple asset classes. An investment portfolio can be customized to meet your specific financial targets, volatility tolerance, and liquidity preference.